Thursday, October 18, 2007

Way to go, Kansas!


Kansas has denied an air quality permit for an electric plant to build what would have been one of the largest coal-fired plants in the country. The $3.9 billion dollar plant, to be located in Holcomb, was harshly criticized by environmentalists (otherwise known as people who care about the world we're giving to our kids, and don't like dirty air.)
This isn't the end of the debate. Legal action, legislation, etc. will follow. A bunch of people are ticked off because of the "economic impact" it would have brought to western Kansas.
But I applaud the Kansas Dept. of Health and Environment and the governor for saying this leads straight into more eco-friendly power options. ( I mean seriously people, have you ever been in Kansas on a windy day? KANSAS has plenty of wind to power our state. And solar? C'mon people, Kansas has more sunny days per year than the "Sunshine state," Florida. ) WE CAN do this... even in a red state. Today's decision won't be final, but it was a GREAT first step towards the changes that this country needs to make.
Kansas, You Rock.
Unfortunately my comments are considered "radical." I know way too many people who think Global Warming is a hoax and wind energy is really just filling our countryside with large, loud eye sores. Well fine, say what you may. I've never been ashamed to call myself a granola tree-hugger. All I know is that I want to hand this earth over to my kids in the best possible shape I can. And if that means wind energy, solar energy, recycling, conserving, and just in general being a good steward to the earth, then call me whatever name you want. Guilty as charged.

Read the whole story in the Lawrence Journal World.
Another story from KSN the night before KDHE's decision.

2 comments:

Strangeite said...

Glad to see you have rejoined the blogging landscape. I understand why you label your thoughts as "radical" but it is a truely sad state of affairs when such logical, pragmatic, reasonable thinking is considered "radical" even by the person doing the thinking.

Anonymous said...

Holy shit! That is good to hear. I heard about the possibility of this plant and wondered what would come of it. Keep me posted!