Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Okay, so I lied...

I know I said I was going to start getting the kids to bed on time, now that the Olympics are over and school is in full swing. But c'mon... now its the Democratic National Convention! I grew up in a family that was conscious of the history going on in the present. I remember watching moments on TV that would become historical moments now the being taught in my children's school books. Because. They. Were. Important. I grew up being aware, in whatever way a child can, of what was going on in the world.

That is one of the gifts I can give to my children. I am proud of the fact that my 4 year old has been able to pick out Barack Obama and John McCain and Hillary Clinton on the cover of a magazine for months now. I am proud that when my 9 year old's class was asked, last spring, who was running for president, he was able to name at least 5 names, democrat and republican. The morning after a big primary election he would ask, on the drive to school: "So how did they do last night mom? Who came out on top, Hillary or Barack?" When a certain Senator from Illinois came to a town not far from my own, on a blustery January day, we took our kids out of school to see him. And on another cold and snowy night in February, we bundled them up, with our home-made posters in hands, and caucused for the person we believe in. (Click on the underlined words to see my previous posts.)

So when this woman took the stage last night, in front of a national T.V. audience, to introduce America to her husband, yes, I let my kids stay up and watch it. How could I not?

Here's the final part of her speech: (My apologies for the cable news commentary at the end, I really was just looking for the last 2 minutes of her speech, that were truly electrifying.)



In the end, I think a few bleary eyes before school some mornings are worth it, to be able to give my kids an understanding of where they are in this world, and how they are impacted by so many events going on in this country.

And who knows, I may be grooming my own political dynasty. I'd be okay with an "Owen in 2040" or a "Lauryn in 2048" ticket!

No comments: