If you're interested: an old post about the man I support, Barack Obama, when he made a stop in Kansas.
Thursday, February 7, 2008
The Kansas Democratic Caucus Feb. 5, 2008
It was cold and snowing, the beginning of what would bring about 4 inches to Wichita. We did not have to wait in an hour+ line out in the snow, becaues of our small children. Our fellow caucus-goers were glad to let us skip ahead. We were incredibly grateful.
Once inside, we were greeted with a 90 minute line, snaking around hallways of the courthouse, until we could finally get into the caucus location:
It was packed. We were a little unsure what to do. I re-registered as a democrat, willing to change my party independent affiliation for a man I believe is ready to lead the country. I brought my registration with me. Most didn't. They ran out of registration cards -- people were forced to register on scraps of paper. They told me they were expecting about 300 at this location. They estimated that 1200 came out.
The kids were patient, but tired. Owen got several compliments on his home-made Obama sign. Lauryn laid down on the floor, tired. In the end we stood in a group of people supporting Barack Obama, we chanted "Yes we can!" and "Fired up, ready to go!" There were some Hillary supporters, and a few Edwards supporters.
In the end, our caucus location gave 7 delegates to Obama, 3 to Clinton. The statewide race was overwhelming: 73% Obama, 26% Clinton. They had estimated 10,000 people would show up. More than 37,000 did, even in the middle of what was for many places, a blizzard. Even the cold couldn't dampen the spirit of people ready for change.
If you're interested: an old post about the man I support, Barack Obama, when he made a stop in Kansas.
If you're interested: an old post about the man I support, Barack Obama, when he made a stop in Kansas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment