You all know who I support in the election. This isn't another campaign blog. Instead this is just a reminder: a reminder of what today is.
Consider a few facts (and I hope I have them all correct, I know a history teacher is reading this):
~88 Years ago, women did NOT have the right to vote.
~Although African American men have had the right to vote since 1870, as recent as 1964, those trying to register black voters were intimidated and kept away from the polls. Many never attempted it before 1964.
~Even today, there are a lot of Americans who cannot legally vote because of a felony conviction, even for something as small as a minor drug possession conviction.
~In the last Presidential election (2004) 55% of eligible voters cast a vote.
~In the last Mid-term election (2006) 41% of eligible voters cast a vote.
And consider this (you may have heard it before): My grandmothers were not born with the right to vote. When my parents began voting, segregation was still alive and well in this country. And now, I have the opportunity to vote for a ticket with an African American man or a woman in the top 2 spots. Someday that won't be a big deal. But today it is. I know one day, my grandkids will look up at me with confused faces and say "What do you mean we never had a woman/black/Latino/gay/Asian/Muslim/Jewish etc. president? That's just weird." Yes, one day it will be. I hope and I pray. But today it is not. Today is a historic election. Don't tell your future (or current) grandkids you didn't take part. Go out. Be there. Vote.
Not sure where to vote? Go to this link, click on your state, and it will take you to your local election office that will have everything you need to know.
(And if I'm preaching to the choir here, pass on the facts above to someone, anyone, who might need a little bit of motivation to brave the lines today.)
Yea Democracy! Let's not waste it.
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment