Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Guess what we got to see!!!

Once a week, they bring in an animal expert, to show off some sort of beautiful beast on our noon news. Last week, it was a Golden Eagle.

My pictures do it NO justice, but here they are anyway. The segment was before Lauryn had to be at preschool, and Owen had one of those odd days, where they had lunch, an assembly, then "Jump Rope for Heart," so I felt I could take him out of school to get an up close look, and chat with an expert. (Hey, he was only out of school for a little over an hour, and it was educational.) The kids were mesmerized.

Pictures cannot do it justice. She was amazing. And HUGE, when she opened her wings. (6 foot wingspan) Wow. So why is she in the care of this guy, and not out in the wild? (Get your tissues, Bri.) Gun shot wound to the wing, a few years back. Horrified, I asked the man, naively, "do they know if it was accidental?" He just looked at me. "How do you accidentally shoot an eagle? When you aim at this guy, you know what you're shooting at." Terrible, just terrible. But thankfully she's now, being taken care of.
I was cautious in my photography -- not wanting to upset this beautiful bird (she got a bit loud and excited several times, all on her own), get too close, use a flash in the dark studio, or stray too far from my kids. So my pictures aren't much. But here's a great photo -- taken by a friend of mine at work, and photo-shopped. SOOooo much more impressive than mine.

Beautiful, the wonder of nature, and all of the creatures in it.


2 comments:

Strangeite said...

That is wonderul.

Don't fret about taking him out of school. Anna and I took Riley out of school for a week to go to Disney World.

Granted he didn't actually miss any school because it was closed due to the ice storm, but we didn't know that beforehand.

PhunkyBS said...

I am not a bird person. Tend to associate them as loud,messy, etc.
But when I realize I'm forgetting about the eagles and owls, I retract my general opinion.
These birds are nothing short of glorious.
We have a golden eagle and a bald eagle at the school.
They are huge.
They are gorgeous!
So glad you and the kids got a close up!
Thanks for sharing that story.
And don't fret about taking owen out of school.
You're giving him experiences that a lot of kids don't get! (seeing Obama, etc.)
You are creating memories together! That's important!