Thursday, February 26, 2009

Suggestions Needed!

I have decided to embark on a journey I have not experienced since college. I am going to read a book that I would never have picked out on my own. No more Harry Potter, Barbra Kingsolver, Toni Morrison. I'm looking for something totally NEW.

While at the library today (paying a far too large a fine -- why, or why, can I not remember to return the kids books on time?) I picked up the brochure for the adult winter reading contest. I've seen these things before, but never really made the effort.

I've decided to change that.

So, I am going to read what the beautiful folk at the library have requested of me, one of each of the following genres:

Biography
Romance
Western
Science Fiction or Fantasy
Mystery
Free Choice

I've already read 3 science fiction books this month, so I've got that category, and "free choice" taken care of. I know I won't have a hard time finding a Biography or Mystery. But those pesky Western and Romance categories have me worried. My personal reading habits have never included these two genres. I have NO idea where to start. I desperately do NOT want to read some sappy, over-the-top romantic garble... or some crappy guy-on-a-horse story.

So I need help. Have any westerns or romance novels to suggest? (Heck, I'll take suggestions for the other categories too.) I'm trying to break out of my mold , here. (And sure, I'll take the pizza cutter and the library bag that comes with the completed contest. There's even a grand prize drawing for a night at a local bed and breakfast, book store gift certificates, and movie tickets. {Is it weird that the prize for reading, is going to the movies?}) But I'm not in it for the prizes. Really. I do want to convince myself to read something out of my comfort zone.

So help -- Please! All suggestions welcome!

(And Nikki, if you're reading this, you better have some suggestions -- you're my ONLY librarian friend!)

4 comments:

Mlle. Librarian said...

For Western(s): You could try The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter Van Tilburg Clark (warning, dark subject matter). Or The Meadow or Fencing the Sky, both by James Galvin. I have not read any of these, but they are on my list to read eventually. Or, I mean, you could always read one of the zillion Zane Grey books. Riders of the Purple Sage is his most well-known one, and it's not terrible! Just cliche.

Romance. Hmph. I need to consult Nancy Pearl on this one. Ummm...she has 3 or 4 pages of suggestions in Book Lust! It is a whole book full of book suggestions organized in various topic areas (Iris gave it to me; best birthday present ever). You should check and see if the library has a copy of it, it is a great resource if you are out of ideas for what to read next.

But if they don't have it, let me know what kind of romance you might be interested (historical, contemporary, suspenseful, paranormal, etc.) and I can tell you what she suggests! So far I have not regretted any of the book suggestions I've taken from her.

I'll let you know if I think of some really good ones for the other categories later. Would you please post the books that you end up reading for this?! I'm curious what you choose.

Mlle. Librarian said...

Oooh! Sorry. Just had an idea. Have you read The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger? I'm not sure if you could get away w/ that one b/c it definitely has a sci fi angle (time travel). But it's more like a plot device. And it's definitely a romance. And I really liked it!

Strangeite said...

I know that Anna loved the Time Traveller's Wife.

You could freak everyone out and go with some Anis Nin for the romance category. More erotica than romance but as they say you say Tomato, I say Tomato.

No clue on the Western. Never read any.

My suggestion for Mystery would The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. I far perfer Foucault's Pendulum (probably my favorite book ever), but it is more drama than Mystery.

My other suggestion but it would have to fall into Free Choice is The Looming Tower. It is non-fiction but considered the Bible in intelligence circles on understanding the rise of Al Qaeda. It is one of the best new books I have read in years.

AnnaMarie said...

OK, If I were to read this list, it would be as follows:

Biography: "Paula" by Isabel Allende

Romance: "Time Traveller's Wife" by Audrey Niffinegger (my husband knows me so well and the librarian has outstanding taste!)

Western: "Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry (HIGHLY recommended by 3 people whose tastes I respect)

Science Fiction or Fantasy: "Time Pressure" by Spider Robinson

Mystery: nearly anything by Walter Mosely

Free Choice: this one's gotta be easy for you, but if you're thinking outside the box I would go with "The Happiness Hypothesis" by Jonathan Haidt or something lighter like "The Year of Living Biblically" by A.J. Jacobs.

Have fun!! Make sure you report on your selections!