Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Laundry mat

First off, thanks for all the reading suggestions. I will admit that I feel like I have cheated in the "Western" department. I shunned all of your suggestions and went for one of the shortest western novels I found in my neighborhood library -- thinking, if it was terrible, at least it was short. Well, it was short. I predicted the ending on page 7. I was correct. But I had to wade through the rest of the anti-Native American sentiment of the rest of the book before I could find that out. Oh well. Western. Check. Moving on. Thoroughly enjoying a biography on Rosa Parks right now. More on my reading in another post.

Meanwhile, our house seems to be falling apart at the seams. Washing machine's spin cycle stopped working. Shower stopped working. Ancient dishwasher really isn't washing dishes much anymore. Faucet still leaks.

So Saturday, we spent an afternoon at the laundry mat.

I used this entire row of washers. I only lost about $2.50 in machines that didn't work. Mostly I just carted wet laundry home (the dryer still works) because why pay for something you can do at home? I was surrounded by laundry basket of wet clothes all day. But at least they were clean.


We were reminded of Corduroy. Lauryn loved the colors, the action, the giant machines. She was happy to take part in the adventure.

Owen was happy to sit in a corner with his DS or favorite book.

I'll admit I had an "am I really this old" moment, when I was entirely disgusted by the couple (woman in her early 20s, man probably in his 30s) who felt it necessary to display their intense love to the rest of the laundry mat patrons. Nothing graphic, just hugging, kissing, cuddling, never getting more than 2 inches away from each other, even as they emptied their washing machines. I should have thought it was sweet. Instead I thought it was disgusting. My teenage self would think I am SO old and square right now.

So while we contemplate our repair options (pay for a service call, not knowing the price, or pay for the extended warranty that may be a waste of funds?) we at least have a house full of clean clothes (still stacked in laundry baskets), a bath that still works (who needs showers?) and a kitchen sink that will wash dishes, just fine.

I'm thankful for all we have.

2 comments:

Strangeite said...

I can't see a laundry mat without thinking of Dr. Horrible.

Laundry day
See you there
Under Things
Tumbling

Wanna Say
Love your Hair
here I go
mumbling

PhunkyBS said...

Oh, dude. So sorry about your troubles. Doesn't owning a house sometimes just SUCK??? In the end, its worth it. But it was always great to just call the repair people and have them bill the landlord, when something went wrong!

Hope you get the stuff fixed soon, at a minimal price!

love you all!