Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My vampire days are almost over!

Its official. The announcement has been made at work. I got the promotion! (Although before you start lumping me into some "executive-at-AIG-type-business-suit-person," I should explain that its not so much a promotion as it is added stress, responsibility and hours for... well, lets just say a modest bump in pay. "Promotion" sounds so grown up and real. Like "mortgage" or "investment portfolio." Is it weird that I sometimes still think of myself as 15 years old?) Really, I'm not complaining. Job security is something I am thankful for, now more than ever. Seriously. I'm happy for the job. I knew it was happening for quite some time now, we just had to work out exactly how and when. My replacement starts next week, and after a couple of weeks of training, I'll be on a normal daytime schedule.

I am excited, but still it comes with mixed feelings. As I think most of you know, I work in TV news, and have spent the last 4 years producing our morning show. I love the crew. I love the show. I love the freedom. I love the fun. I love that I am by myself for most of the night (working midnight to 8 am) and have nobody there to bother me. I love that I can run stories by Jeanne Moos, (check out her official bio here, although she looks way too serious in that picture), or leave my anchors cracking up after running a story about the karaoke cab (totally worth a watch), or the dog that ate $400 that left its owners searching for, um, deposits. I've loved having fun with my show.

But changes are coming to my workplace. People are shifting, moving, leaving, being promoted. And after more than a year of discussion, it was time for me to move into a new job as well. I will no longer produce a daily show, and instead take on a lower/middle management job, helping to keep the newsroom on task,working with the staff to producing the best stuff we can everyday. I look forward to the challenge.

I originally moved to the morning show (from an often-10-hour daytime shift) to spend more time with the kids. I can work all night, sleep from 8-3/4, and spend the afternoon and evening with the family. It has been wonderful. Although not always "easy." A lot of things happen in the middle of the day, and unfortunately, won't wait until I wake up to take part. Dr. appointments, school programs, phone calls -- there has been a constant stream of "something" that got me up in the middle of my "night." Brad has been wonderful about taking care of the kids during the day, or working his schedules around mine. We've been thankful to keep Lauryn out of daycare (she starts Kindergarten in the fall). But in the end, you just can't work the night shift forever. I know some people do, but it it was long enough for me. Having both kids in full-time school next year will make the change a little more bearable. (My doctor is also glad for the switch. There is plenty of research out there that says sleeping on an opposite shift is simply not natural, and not good for the body. I know I have gotten sick more in the past 4 years than I have in the 15 before it. It takes a toll on the body, of that, I am sure. I'm sure I'll drop 10 pounds immediately upon sleeping at night....)

So changes are coming. And it will mean changes at home too -- I've been making up food for the freezer, since I will likely be coming home at 6 or later each night. I'll be called-in more often to deal with issues. I'll have to always have a cell phone on me. (That means I'm actually going to have to enter the 21st century and GET a cell phone. ) I'll be working all day and night, when the BIG stories happen. We've been warning the kids they're going to have to pick up more chores around the house. (Its mostly my fault that they don't anyway. I've been guilty of shooing them out of the kitchen, saying "go play, so I can clean up," instead of teaching them to help, and dealing with their methods. Control Freak? Me? What?!?) Brad, once again is willing to make his life work around my work schedule. He will be in charge of even more kid stuff, and I thank him tremendously for that. My husband has been an amazing support to me and my career since day one (including the college years.) I would NOT be where I am today, if it were not for him. He is a true knight in shining armour. I am so lucky to have found him.

It will be nice to go to bed with my husband each night. When a child wakes up with a fever or throwing up in the middle of the night, I will be there. (It broke my heart each time I got a call at 4 a.m., Brad saying "Lauryn doesn't feel good." Of course he could handle it, but I wanted to be there too. ) It will be nice to be able to leave at noon to go see an awards assembly at school, or eat lunch with the kids in the cafeteria. It will be nice that I don't feel like a zombie on the weekends, when I try to switch my schedule around. I will enjoy the sunshine again. And professionally, it will feel good to expand my horizons, push myself, take on new challenges and plan for the future.

Now, for the biggest stress: the cell phone. I know nothing. Any suggestions? I'm looking for a family plan (2 lines) possibly making my line a smart phone. (Is it necessary? Will I really use it? Or will I get addicted to it?) No, I'm not getting the iphone, its too expensive. Blackberry? What do I need to look for in a phone? Any horror stories? What the heck does "3G network mean?" Are all brands of phone the same? Why Blackberry over Samsung or Palm? I'll probably go with Altell/Verizon, since that's what so many of my friends and family have (thus making calls free.) But other than that, I'm lost. Seriously. The last cell phone salesman I talked to, looked at me like I was from the dark ages. I think I am. Do cell phones come with rotary dials?? Help!!

(Oh my lord, that was a long post without pictures. If you've made it this far, you must really love me!)

3 comments:

Strangeite said...

Actually that was a wonderful post. I do love you, but I would have finished reading it anyways.

Congratulations on the promotion. You deserve it.

As to the cell phone. Feel free to email me and I can help talk you through the ins and outs of the various plans and features. I don't really know why I know as much as I do about the various cell phone companies and their products, but my insanity can be your gain.

PhunkyBS said...

Yay!

This will be good.

This is the year for "change", remember?

Stepping out of one's comfort zome can definitely be icky. I know. But it can also be so amazingly rewarding.

I wish you and the fam nothing but the best!

I love you!

AnnaMarie said...

My goodness what fabulous news!! Roy told me about it but I've just now been able to catch up and read your post. Something tells me you will be amazed by how much better you feel sleeping at night, being awake during the day. And you know you have us, your blogging community, to support you.

Roy seriously is good on his offer for cell phone research. You can always start on the low end of the cell phone spectrum and, as you become more comfortable with both the phone and your job, upgrade.

Anyhoo - yay!! You totally deserve this! and I will never, ever, EVER refer to you as "the man".

love you!