Monday, March 23, 2009

What we did on spring break

The kids have returned to school after a week of spring break. They were ready. This past Friday, Lauryn asked "Mom, when do I get to go back to school?" I'm so glad she loves school. This was the first break in probably 4 years that they haven't been shipped off to grandma's for most/part of the break, so Brad and I could tackle a home-improvement project. I couldn't get any time off of work, so we just stayed at home.

We kicked off the break with Owen's first soccer game of the season (on a very chilly morning.) Then it was off to the grandparents for the weekend where they got to spend time with my sister.

Brad and I got to celebrate a friend's 35th birthday party. We had a good time. We saw people we hadn't seen in more than a year, and made new friends. We stayed out late. We went out for coffee the next morning. We hung out at the book store for a couple hours. We felt like grown-ups.

On Monday, I was released from jury duty, without ever having to show up. I was relieved. I did NOT want to do my civic duty that week.

On Tuesday, Owen strained/sprained his knee playing soccer (or really, more just screwing around) with Brad in the back yard. After 90 minutes at the doctor, we came home with a knee brace, got out the ice and ibuprofen, and plopped Owen down on the couch. We were told to keep him off his knee for a few days, then after that, no running, jumping, horsing around. Walking is okay. But don't stress it. Needless to say, it sort of put a kink our spring break plans. No trips to the zoo, the children's museum. No long walks along the river, or bike rides on the trails. Our spring break ended up more electronic than we hoped it would be.

But we had good times. We read books, played video games, watched movies, swung on the backyard swing, played in the sandbox, ate ice cream, painted, drew, slept in late, stayed up late, went to the store at 8:30 p.m. just because we could, kept our pajamas on until noon. It was a relaxing break, even if I still had to do that pesky thing called work. It was nice to not have to worry about all the rest of the schedules.

Among the other things we learned the past week:
Owen and Lauryn love grapefruit (who knew!?)
Despite beautiful weather, the mornings are still perfect for wearing pajamas and sitting on the heater (the one day this week we actually turned it on.)

Cleaning isn't so bad when its done as a team:

Balling a melon is surprisingly easy, and fun!

Making lattes at home (something I rarely splurge on) is a ton of fun. I bought an "aerolatte" to froth my milk. The kids have had fun with "gourmet hot chocolate." (Should I tell them, its pretty much the same thing, with foam and sprinkled cinnamon on top??)

Oh yeah, and the first morning that you have to get up at 7 can be difficult:

Back to school, everyone!

2 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

I love this post, and I especially love the picture of you and Brad!! What a great week you had!

I miss you!

PhunkyBS said...

I LOVE this picture of you and Brad! Who's 35th birthday party was it?

Glad you seemed to enjoy your Spring Break with the family.

Mine isn't until next week. Its WAAAAY over due!

Hugs!