But recently, he came to my town, on his way out to Greensburg -- on the one year anniversary of the EF-5 tornado that destroyed 95% of that town, taking 11 lives. He spoke at the graduation ceremony for the 16 seniors at the school. Despite what I may think of his policies, this was a non-political trip. This was a show of respect that I expect a president to take, and was glad he did. No matter my personal views, he IS our President, and the chance to be just a few hundred feet away from him, is still an honorable event.
Needless to say, security was tight:
I had to be checked, double checked, and triple checked anytime I walked more than 3 feet away from our designated media area. I had to explain to security what the various electronic devices were, that I had to bring in. (What's an IFB box?) All the local media gathered on a flatbed truck, about a football field away from where the President was to land:
Air Force One is pretty dang big. Seriously. This thing is intimidating.
Once he walked off the plane, he shook hands with the Governor, the Congressman, the Senator, the various people who were there to greet him. He shook hands with a Wichita man, who has devoted many years of his life to volunteering and keeping inner-city kids out of trouble. He gave him an official pin, for the honor.
The president was at the Air Force Base for only about 4-5 minutes. Then he left, via Marine One, for Greensburg. I thought it was kinda cool that the Marine had to stand in this position (below) until Marine One was out of sight. I can't say I really understand all the pomp and circumstance of the military or the government... but let me say that they DO have their stuff together. At least for an event like this, they do.
Afterwards we took the shameless "tourist" pictures. Below is our crew. And I do think its kinda cool that I now have a White House Press Pass.
But I can't conclude this post without showing off the other cool press pass I am proud of, and reminding everyone of my recent experience covering our NEXT President.
Read all about it here.
2 comments:
Excellent Post and wonderful pictures. And yes, he will be our next president.
nice.
No matter whether you appreciate your President, it is definitely humbling and very cool to witness them.
I remember going to see Bill Clinton speak in Lawrence. We were waaaaaaay in the back, but it was still very surreal. I felt connected to my country as a citizen, for once.
Post a Comment