I love buying things used. I'm keeping things out of the trash. My money is going towards a good cause. But most of all, its just a great bargain.
Here's what $43.90 buys you at a second-hand shop (when you have a 10% discount card, and they're having a Memorial Day sale):
11 pairs of pants/shorts
6 sweatshirts/jackets
14 shirts
2 skirts
2 dresses
1 pair of tights
4 place mats
2 1/2 yards of rainbow fabric
11 books
1 address book
1 stuffed animal
and 1 puzzle
I also love the thrill of the hunt -- going down each of the aisles, looking for the perfect outfit, the perfect item, the great find. I'll admit, I must be in the mood to really make a day of it. And today, luckily, with two children who had tummies full of pancakes, bacon and eggs, they were up for the hunt as well.
When Lauryn started to get bored, I had her look under all of the clothing racks for things that had fallen below. She carefully stacked and helped fold them, and we left them in a pile. (The pants, covered in dirt/dust, are now in the laundry!)
Owen had a new-found book in hand for the entire trip -- and when Lauryn got bored with hide and seek for dirty clothes, they sat down on a bright orange sofa and read together.
Seriously. What other store has an ample supply of books, toys and soft sofas to sit on, while mom sorts through new clothes. Is there a better place in the world??
3 comments:
Funny thing - I went thrifting on Saturday, too! Didn't have quite the haul you did, but I found some nice stuff, including a bike jersey that would've cost me big $$$ elsewhere.
Owen is a man after my own heart. :)
oh, you are singing my song.
what a delight...the hunt and capture is so good.
Good for you! I used to have the patience to go through racks like you did. Not anymore my friend, not anymore. But enjoy thrifting for the other things... decor, jewelry, purses, etc.
AND... you are recycling this way. I LOVE IT!!!!
Post a Comment