Monday, July 28, 2008

The Staycation

This summer I'll admit, I got jealous of my sisters. They are teachers. They are good teachers. They are dedicated teachers. They are teachers who work very long hours during the 9 months of the year, take classes in the summer, make preparations for class, and spend a good chunk of their time off, preparing for the next school year. I value that there are teachers who are so dedicated to the art of enlightening young minds. I am very much aware that they cram at least 12 months worth of 40-hour work weeks, into 9 months of the year. They spend countless hours grading, prepping, researching, etc. I get it. I, by no means, am trying to devalue the work they do as teachers. They work hard -- I would venture to say harder than many of us with 40 hour a week jobs. I get it. I really do. They're amazing. They rock.
But.......
I get jealous of their summer breaks; time when schedules are more relaxed, when there is time for vacation, travel, reading books, catching up on sleep -- time to unwind and prepare for another grueling 9 months. I know they pay for it, during the school year, but it doesn't help me from feeling jealous, for two and a half months out of the year.
After 7 years at one job, I have worked my way up to 3 weeks of vacation. I work nearly every holiday. This year, I have bargained to get New Year's day off. I am working
literally every other holiday of the year. Every one. I value my time away from work very much. But it is limited. And when at least a week out of every year is spent on home improvement projects (this was spring break - during - and - after), and various days off are needed for taking care of life's responsibilities, I have found that I have few days off for real vacation.
So, because this year I was saving time off for when my sisters and nephew come into town, and for when I get to see AnnaMarie, Roy and Sophie, and for a week in December, when my favorite sister-in-law and second cousin/brother-in-law come to town... there was little time for a big summer vacation.
So we stayed home. We did the "Staycation." And we had a blast!
We went to a town less than an hour away, and stayed in a hotel with an indoor water park, complete with a space theme. We were in heaven. We swam for three days straight. It was awesome.




The favorite activity was the tube slide, that I was sure Lauryn would be terrified of. She wasn't. I think we went down it about 100 times. A day. An hour.

We went to the museum that houses more American space artifacts than anywhere else in the country -- outside of D.C. We've been there before, but as always, we loved it.

Oh the history lessons -- telling my 9 year old about when the Berlin Wall came down. I was a couple years older than him, when I remember watching it on TV.





New parks were exciting... just because they were new, and had never been tried before.



And then there was this place:

The BEST (and I can speak with some authority here) french fries on earth. And the best shakes. And the best burgers. Seriously. Yummy.

We had a blast.
But perhaps the best news? A week or so after the staycation, we got an email -- our name had been picked out of the little box at the front counter that said "win a free night's stay."
Whoo-HOO!
Look for another weekend staycation to come!

1 comment:

PhunkyBS said...

Having family who have teacher's schedules is hard when you don't. Especially when a good portion of the family happens to be teachers. We 2-3 weeks/year vacation people really value our time off. I empathize.
Its even harder now that distance from family plays a part in the equation.
You have to do what you need to do to feel a balance in your life - or at least as balanced as your time off allows!
We all do!
I am so grateful to have a sister who not only is willing but WANTS to give up personal vacation time to spend it with me and the rest of us this Christmas. Time that you so very much deserve for yourself and your own family.
You're amazing!
I love you so much!
Missing you.