I tried making sushi tonight.
Overall, decent.
Didn't go out of my way to find good/authentic meat -- we used imitation crab meat. Acceptable, but not the best. Next time I'll get better meat or just stay vegetarian. (We asked the last sushi chef we met where we could get good meat-- his response: "nowhere" in our town. Sigh. We'll continue to keep looking.)
The veggies and sushi rice were great , the Nori rolled easily (I hadn't gone to an Asian specialty store for meat, so I hadn't picked up the rolling mat either -- next time), I made a thickened, sweetened soy sauce, like the one we like on our unagi rolls, and it was good. Forgot I had bought avocados for filling, until after it was all made -- so we'll make guacamole this week, and buy and hopefully REMEMBER them next time.
Overall good meal.
The kids wouldn't try it... I made teriyaki steak and mashed potatoes for them, and they ate it up with vigor (even Lauryn, the almost-always vegetarian). But they did think the sushi looked pretty. Lauryn said it looked like the rolls were smiling.
So, overall, good night. Good food.
(And ladies -- you know who you are -- thanks for the tips on my last sushi post, they helped.)
Sunday, November 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment