Friday, January 18, 2008

The digital camera dilema

I am a camera snob. I will admit it. I come from good photography stock. I grew up with a dark room in our family basement, just as my father grew up with one in his. I remember the early years, sitting on my father's lap, watching as he slowly rocked the developing trays back and forth, the image on a piece of photo paper slowly coming into focus, the smell of the black and white chemicals, the red of the light, the satisfaction of watching the timer count down to the perfect exposure from the enlarger. The dark room was set up and taken down several times, over the years, as I got older, it was set up for my use, my play, my creativity.

When we were each in 8th grade, my sisters and I received a camera: a basic, but nice, SLR. We were taught how to use it, how to take good pictures, how to handle a developed photo, so as not to get fingerprints on it, how to store our negatives away. After a roll of film had been developed we sat down with dad and critiqued our photos -- this one was over-exposed, this one had their feet cut off of the photo, this one was interesting with something in the foreground. I grew to love photography at a young age, and took pride in it. In fact, at one point in my life, I thought I would make a career out of photography -- maybe a photojournalist, or portrait photographer.

I still have that camera. I love it. I am used to it. It takes beautiful pictures. And sadly, it cannot be replaced -- they don't make them anymore. I am not giving up my much-loved film SLR. I plan to use it for many years to come.

In many ways I still believe film is superior to digital. Laugh if you want, but I believe it. I am saddened by the fact that my kids will likely never have the option of taking black and white, film photography classes at school. They won't smell the stopper, or the developer. They won't be taught how to dodge and burn with a piece of cardboard and light, not a mouse or computer stylus. NO wait. They will. I'm sure grandpa would be okay with setting up the dark room again one day, to teach the lessons to the next generation.

I am getting off track. This post is supposed to be about digital cameras. Which brings me to my dilemma. I think I need one. I want one, for the ease, the instant gratification, and the ability to share my kids, my life, my point of view with the world, and myself, through a photographic eye. Having already stated my previous photographic snobbery.... I am in a dilemma: what kind of camera do I buy.

I always said I wouldn't update to digital until I got a very nice DLSR. Now, I'm not so sure. Prices are coming down yes, but I must admit, I still think I want something that has a few more bells and whistles, than are currently on the bargain DSLRs. Yet I can't justify blowing more than $1000 on a camera right now. Eventually, I'd like a really nice DSLR.... and the theory goes, the longer I wait, the more bang I will eventually get for my buck. But once again, I am longing for a digital camera now.

So here is my conclusion: (I think... somebody talk me out of it) I am going to get an economical, point and shoot camera. Something likely in the $2-300 range. Why? Am I throwing my photographic know how to the wind? Will I become dependent on a point and shoot, auto focus, auto flash, picture box? Will I lose what I know about photography? Will I stop taking pictures with an artist's eye, looking for depth of field, interesting angles, and odd shadows? This is where I must be truthful. I don't remember the last time I got out my trusty SLR to take artistic photos. I can hardly remember taking my camera out for a day, not to take pictures of the kids, or to shoot a specific event, show, holiday or life moment. I miss it. I need to do it more. But I don't.

That's why I have decided (again, I think, I'm struggling with this...) to get a more economical camera, a smaller camera (not a super-compact, just a regular camera) so that I can have it with me always. I can keep it in a purse, I can throw it in a backpack, I can carry it to the zoo or the park or the back yard, without bringing out the camera bag, the flash, the extra lenses. Inspired by the people I have learned to know (or gotten to know better) in blogworld, I want to begin chronicling the days of my life, the visions I see. Thanks Kristin for your daily view of life.

So....I NEED YOUR HELP any suggestions? I hear so many good things about Cannons, I am almost sure I want to start there -- what, dear blogger friends, do you use? What should I consider? Am I out of my mind? Should I spend an extra $200 for the bargain DSLR? Or should I wait and spring for a really nice one? Online technology reviews can only give so much information... at some point you just want a human being who can tell you what its like to take photos with a certain camera in hand. So shoot me a suggestion, if you have it... quickly.. before I succumb to temptation and run off to Best Buy and get the first thing I see.


4 comments:

Strangeite said...

Anna and I purchased a Sony DSC-H5 a couple of years ago and we love it. For us it was the perfect compromise between a point and shoot and an expensive DSLR. Sony no longer sells this model new because the model line has been upgraded. I had a chance to play with their new model that is housed in the same style case. The new features (increased resolution, longer optical zoom and better face recognition) were nice but the case felt VERY cheap and flimsy compared with the old H5.

I did a LOT of research before buying this camera and most of the advice I can offer is still valid.

The number of megapixels is not near as important as lens quality. A 5 megapixel camera with a quality lens will take a much better picture than an 8 megapixel with a crappy lens. Most people are not going to take pictures that need to be bigger than 8 x 10 and as such, go with quality lens.

When it comes to zoom, always make sure that you check what the optical zoom is and ignore any digital zoom figures. In fact, I recommend that the very first thing you do is turn off the digital zoom.

Also, since you know what you are doing with photography, you will be very disappointed in any camera that doesn't allow you to adjust setting manually. That is one the main reasons we went with one of the Sony H line of cameras. You have the ease of point and shoot settings, but if you want to, you can adjust everything manually.

Last but not least. If you want to be able to get serious with digital photography, consider buying a camera that shoots in RAW. Professional photographers only shoot in RAW and all of the high-end photo programs deal in RAW. In fact, my only real complaint with the H5 is that it doesn't shoot in RAW. However, since I am not ready to drop $300 on Apeture, it is a moot point for us anyway.

Strangeite said...

WOW! I just saw an auction end on ebay for a used DSC-H5 which also included the optional telephoto and wide-angle len. The closing bid was $210.50. That is a damn good deal since the lens alone go for over $200 new if you buy them together.

AnnaMarie said...

Rae, I love our camera. Roy plays around with the manual settings, but I just point and shoot because, well, I'm lazy. So it's the perfect camera for both of us. Additionally, it takes really good video for being a camera.

I can understand your reservations about moving to the digital realm, but it really is great for quick blog uploads and instant gratification. And, frankly, it's cheaper. The only thing we pay for are prints that cost like $.12 apiece. No film, no development costs, and we only print the pics that are good.

I know you're concerned about losing the skills you've developed, but you're passionate about the craft and you won't. Plus, Owen will be an 8th grader before you know it, and I KNOW you'll want to share that tradition with him.

Anonymous said...

i am completely settled and thrilled with my canon powershot a630...not fancy, but it works as well as you can see on my blog.

and the price is right at around $200.

i'm sure there are others just as swell. one unique thing i found in this price range was the macro focus range down to 1 cm....wait, have i told you all this before?

geez.

good luck...