Thursday, January 10, 2008

So many things to catch up on...

I do, truly, have so many things to catch up on... both in blogworld.. and in the real world. (Thanks for the inspiration, Tie Dye Avenger, to try to catch up on my blogging.)

The catch-up for all you folks playing at home:

CHRISTMAS was wonderful. Good times, fellowship with family and friends (some coming quite the distance), excitement of little faces, torn paper everywhere, and cookies, candies and cheesecake for snacks all day! I was fortunate to have a 5 day weekend (off of work) to celebrate. It went far too quickly.

THE NEW YEAR is here. That means back to "normal" schedules, catching up on all the things that didn't get done over the holidays, trying to get back in the swing of things. It has also brought varying forms of sickness -- so we are now recovering. It all seems very tiring and overwhelming right now, but soon we will fall back into normal life.

OWEN IS 9 today! We celebrated with early morning pancakes and presents; since Brad would have to work all afternoon and evening, it was the only chance to have a family celebration. Lauryn, Owen and I went to a movie this afternoon and out for supper. Now that homework is finished, the new gifts are being played with, in earnest. The weekend brings a slumber party and celebrations with grandparents.

I'VE NEVER BEEN ANY GOOD at New Year's resolutions. I rarely make them, and rarely keep them. But after a recent trip to the Dr. for my yearly checkup, I realized changes needed to be made not just for the new year, but for life. My cholesterol is far too high, as I was expecting, given my family history. Since I already have pretty decent eating habits (although far from perfect, I do need to make some changes) the next step is too add more exercise to my routine and try to lose some weight. The news of my cholesterol came at the same time a "diet contest" (I shudder at the term) was beginning at work. I decided to sign up, not to win a big cash prize, or become a "skinny mini" , but to try to get some motivation from an entire newsroom of folks trying to eat better and live better.

LIVING HEALTHY means more exercise, so we decided to get a YMCA family membership. We've enjoyed it just a few times, but are looking forward to more swimming, activities and healthy lifestyle changes that it will help us to bring about. My body is aching with the acceptance of new exercise, trying to liberate itself from the sedentary computer/desk job lifestyle I now live.

CAPTURING THE PICTURES of life are another priority. I am still working to get through the many rolls of film I have never developed, sorted or put away... and beginning to really start to think seriously about the digital camera thing. If you have any recommendations, or want to weigh in on whether I should spring for the Digital SLR or be happy with a decent point and shoot, I'd be glad for the advice.

FINALLY, I HAVE ACCEPTED that I am a political geek. I am anxiously watching presidential politics, cheering on my man, Barack Obama. I could blog for hours about why he has excited me so much -- but will leave it simply with this: I believe in him, and I believe that he is what our country needs RIGHT NOW, to turn us around. I am also very excited that Owen is of the age to really begin to grasp all that is going on in our country. This is a wonderful learning tool -- I hope to be instilling in him, the kind of political awareness he needs to become a responsible citizen.

Cheers to you all, in all that 2008 brings.

No comments: