I am scared for the political future. I love Barack Obama. I do not want Hillary Clinton to become president. I believe this election is the most important of my short lifetime, and will be looked back upon as the turning point for America.
I am disgusted by the political mud-slinging going on my the Clintons. I am disgusted by Bill Clinton's tactics, comments and lies. And they are lies, don't kid yourself.
I've always been an Obama supporter, but in the beginning, in the back of my mind, I thought "well, Hillary wouldn't be so bad." But the past few months have turned me, squarely, against The Clintons (and yes, it is the Clintons. Fair or not, they are BOTH running for president, and we will have to deal with them BOTH if they are elected.) Hillary is hated by large portions of America. Fair or not, it is the truth. She is a divisive figure, not a uniting one, no many how many times she uses the word "unite" on the campaign trail. I am fearful of a candidate who will lie about statements made about an opponent (that can be easily fact-checked, by the way) just as I am scared of a Bush administration that believes that just by saying "WMD in Iraq" or "AlQaeda in Iraq" 935 times it makes it truth. It isn't truth. And the nearly one thousand times that the Bush Administration lied to us only led to the deaths of nearly 4,000 American soldiers, and estimated (although likely far from complete) 80,000-90,000 Iraqis. What makes the lies Hillary or Bill are telling us any better? What makes THAT kind of lying justifiable? It doesn't. Even Lauryn's book "Oh bother, someone's fibbing" lets us know that even Piglet's little white lies end up hurting someone.
I struggle with WANTING to like Hillary, just because she is a woman. (Somewhere between reading Betty Frieden and "The Beauty Myth" by Naomi Wolf, I felt like it would be a great day when a woman could be considered a front-runner for the presidency.) But she still represents everything that is wrong with this country -- and especially everything that has been wrong for the last 8 years. The truth is, whether Bill was a good president or not, The Clintons ARE political beings -- they will do anything and everything to get elected. And THAT is what is wrong with them. I cannot and will not EVER subscribe to the "ends justify the means" argument.
I am passionate about this. I cry watching Nightly News and during political debates. I get shivers down my spine when I hear Barack speak. I get a sinking pit in my stomach every time Hillary pulls ahead in the polls.
And I WILL NOT be bullied into supporting a woman because she is a woman, or a black man just because he is black. This isn't (despite what the cable networks say) about race or gender. This is about WHO is the right person to lead our country. And every day I am more and more secure in my belief that Barack is the one.
And I WILL be attending The KS Caucus on Super Tuesday. I will take my two children (and hopefully my husband, if he's not working.) I have long taken my children to the polls with me, but this will be the first time I will participate in a caucus. I contacted the democratic party to find out if I could take my kids. "YES! We'd love for them to be a part of the process" was the response I got.
Owen has long known about Barack. I remember showing him portions of Barack's 2004 Dem. Convention speech one year ago, when Barack announced he would run. I cried then. I still cry hearing it. Owen knows how important this is -- even for a 9 year old child, he KNOWS what is going on. He sees his parents' passion over politics. He sees the reality in this world (sometimes I think more than the adults.) Every time he sees the candidates on the news he asks "Did they have another vote? Did Barack win?" And Lauryn is figuring it out too... just this evening she overheard a campaign story on Nightly News while I was cooking in the Kitchen. "Are they talking about President Barack Obama,Mommy?" I hope so, honey. I really hope so.
Barack Obama

1 comment:
Here! Here!
Post a Comment