Sunday, September 16, 2007

Build A Bear


Build-A-Bear

For Lauryn's 4th birthday one set of grandparents (should I use last names on the Internet? I've decided not) decided to get Lauryn a bear from "Build A Bear" a very successful money-maker that sucks you in from every angle (and I'm only a little bit bitter about that -- read on.)

For those who have never experienced the phenomenon -- I'll walk you through it. (It was my first time too..)

First, you pick your bear. They all come undressed, un-stuffed -- you pick out your style. (left -- although she didn't pick out the ghost that she's appears to be interested in, in this photo.)

Next you take it to this magical place where a nice lady stuffs it full of fluff with her special reverse vacuum device. You can add sounds, or personal messages recorded onto the sounds. (You know, the kind where you press the arm and it says "I love you!")


(left) Them you get to pick out a red velvet heart, give it a kiss, hug it, place it on your forehead to give it good thoughts and place it in the nearly stuffed bear. (I told you, these guys are good.)



Then you are told it is time to wash and groom your new bear. But wash only with their special showers (below) -- never with real water.
Then you check out a very large selection of clothes, accessories, shoes, play items (for your bear), bags, toys, etc. This is where they really get you to spend the bucks. Lauryn was not at all greedy and picked out a ballerina outfit for her bear (okay, its really a cat.)


(Right) Dressing the bear in the dressing room (complete with little studio lights and a mirror.)


After making a birth certificate for your bear (the keyboard is child-ized, so even the kids can fill out some of the information on the computer), and of course having the appropriate adult pay the bill, you get a beautiful new bear, which you stuffed with love, that is yours to keep.

Okay -- let's admit, its a very clever ploy to get adults to spend a fortune on a stuffed animal. You can do it for a very economical choice, depending on the bear, clothes, accessories (or lack there of) , or you can spend a ton, getting every last item for your special bear. Let's just say we were pretty restrained on our trip -- I think it helps that Lauryn isn't used to getting everything she wants. But if I had a spoiled child... boy, you might need a second mortgage...

Okay, yes, its a ploy. Yes, its very clever. Yes I'm sure they're making a decent profit on us. But check out that smile (left) and can you really call this a bad thing? C'mon people. She loved it . (And keep in mind she is REALLY into stuffed animals -- or stuffties as she calls them, Owen made that one up -- right now. She sleeps in about a 1/3 of her bed, the rest of it is with her stufftie friends.) She played it up and had a great time. Now what can be wrong with that? A little bit of common sense, and restraint, and the Build-A-Bear experience can be a very nice one. And it was for little miss Lauryn. (And the adults who accompanied her, I might add.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She looks so happy! I didn't know we had one of those here. Oh boy, I can't wait til Maddy is old enough to want to go there. I better start saving now.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that was Beth that posted that last comment.