Thursday, April 17, 2008

Hippies, images and me

This is a response from Strangeite's blog, which was a response to Stephanie's blog, which was a response to an earlier Stephanie blog about hair. (P.S. I know Strangeite. I don't know Stephanie, even though she lives a lot closer to me than Strangeite. Funny how this blog world has people connecting from all over the -- technically, world, but I don't blog with anyone internationally so I'll say -- country. Which all comes back to a blog that AnnaMarie wrote. Everything comes full circle.)

So -- hippies. What are they, and what do they mean to you? Is it all appearances? Is it way of life? Probably both. The above blog links have some very interesting commentary on the questions -- I won't try to re-state it. But it got me thinking -- I have many times in my life been called a hippie. Why? Was it based on my way of life? Or my image? Likely people saw, from the outside, the appearance, and made the label. But deep down, as much as I've tried to live, what I consider, hippie-ideals, I'm not sure I've ever really considered myself a good hippie. I'd maybe consider myself more of a "Granola" ... but more on that later.

Can one be considered a hippie by default? i.e. I am the "hippiest" person that a lot of people know, so I, by default, get called a hippie. Let me explain. I literally work in a business surrounded by "square-headed, 80's helmet-hair channelling wanna-be teevee news anchors” -- (a wonderful description provided by Stephanie) -- I work in local TV news. I work among women, and men, who style their hair 2-3 times a day. Who have mirrors and curling irons at their desks. Who put on makeup before and during the news. I work among professional business suits, perfect Windsor knot ties, expensive loafers, 2 inch heels and professional dry-cleaning. The on-air personalities get free (expensive!) haircuts, in return for a little at the end of the show that says "hairstyles provided by:..." (And, just for the record, because its one of the many questions I am asked about my profession -- Yes, they do their own hair and makeup every day -- we do NOT have a professional who comes in to perform these tasks -- we're not network, people.) Image, you might say, is very important to my business. You might even go so far as to say image is more important that substance -- and yes, that is true in some cases, but I have to give many of the people I work with, credit for being very smart, hard-working individuals.

Most of these things are so foreign to me. I have never worn much makeup. (I just recently, in the last few years, finally threw out the first piece of makeup I ever owned -- blush, that my mom bought for me in 8th grade. I hadn't used it (obviously, ew gross) in years, but somehow it had stayed in my very small makeup drawer the entire time. THAT gives you an idea of how often I wear makeup -- and how often I look in that drawer.) My hair is usually pulled back in a ponytail, free of nearly all styling products. Not too long ago, I cut off 13 inches of my hair -- I had let it grow so long because, well, it was just easier that way. My daily "uniform" is jeans, and a shirt, Birkenstocks, clogs or running shoes. I own one pair of 2 inch heels. I bought them as a sophomore in high school, to go to prom. They still fit. They are still in very good shape. That tells you how often I have worn them in the last 14 years.

But I'm not exactly running around with "flower power" painted across my belly, dandelions in my hair, or a hand-stitched, patched oversize skirt. (Of which I have several variations, which I do enjoy. They just don't seem to get much wear anymore.) So why am I the newsroom hippie?

The truth is -- in my newsroom, (and I'd venture to say any newsroom) the job distinctions are obvious. The on-air personalities made up and perfect looking. And the rest of us (for the most part) are nearly style-less. Its what you get after years of working with the incredibly style-conscious. You become the antithesis of style. We do the writing, the editing, the photography, the details (and wear old jeans and T shirts) -- and make the on-air people look good, smart, put together, in their expensive suits and fancy haircuts. (Please let me reiterate that most of the people I work with ARE smart and hard working, and wonderful people. But the reality is -- a lot goes on behind the scenes to allow the viewer to see the news in an illusion of perfection. {And don't get me started on the status of local/network news, "perfection" or not... that's a whole 'nother blog.})

So, in this newsroom of mine -- I am considered the hippie. Why? Because I'm the most hippie that anyone has ever seen, or at least the most they see on a regular basis. The birkenstocks. The occasional tie-die shirt. The anti-bush bumper sticker. The bike riding to work. The anti-war person. The one who hates Wal-Mart. The one who comes in with a soy smoothie to the morning news meeting. The one who pitches stories about war protests, fair trade businesses and environmentally conscious practices. I get it. They see me as hippie -- because many of them consider themselves, without apology, yuppies.

And, yes, maybe I am a hippie. (I had a 20 minute conversation this morning, with a couple of people on the health and nutritional aspects of Taoism, and what it means for our modern life. Very Hippie-ish.) But take me out of the hairspray and mirror world, and put me back in, say, my college Alma mater -- and I become a tame version of a generally socially-conscious person. I wouldn't be called a hippie. I wouldn't be called a granola. I would be called, well, a Mennonite. Or put in me in the middle of a war protest, and I might just look like a yuppie.

So isn't it all about your perspective? When I compare myself to my co-workers who jet off for a holiday in Hawaii, or Paris... with their new homes with theatre rooms, Mercedes, or $300+ suits -- YES, without a doubt, I am a hippie. But when I think about the hippie/granola ideals -- I think I fail far too often. I drive across town for something I didn't need. I threw away that tin can because the recycle bin was full. I crank up the heat to 74, and the AC to 68 -- because I don't like being uncomfortable. I skipped the last anti-war protest in town, because I was tired and didn't feel like going to it. I haven't been involved in an organized peace group since college (even though there is a good one, just a couple miles down the street). And I often don't buy organic or freely-traded items because its just too expensive or too inconvenient. And yes, I find myself sometimes shopping at Wal-Mart for some of those convenience items you just don't find everywhere. (Head held in shame here.)

These days I'm much more soccer mom than hippie. (Although to the soccer moms who sit with their QT cappuccinos, yelling plays and coaching advice from their lawn chairs, I'm sure I'm seen as the outsider there too. I still don't understand what "offsides" means.) My old hippie self (if I had one then), much more active in my high school and college years, would probably be ashamed of my un-hippieness now.

So, who am I, and, what is a hippie, and do I fall into that category? I guess it depends on who you ask. I'm open for your answer, if you care to give it. But in the end I am me. And I'm cool with that. Whatever the label is.

3 comments:

PhunkyBS said...

:)
I was reading the 2nd to last paragraph and was thinking to myself... "ugh. I hate labels. You are you, Rachel!!"
And then I got to your last paragraph and laughed out loud!

Truth is, yes I hate labels, but as humans I think we are naturally driven to find a connection to others. A reason why we fit in SOMEWHERE in this big wide world. I find myself wondering, if I were to have to label myself, what would it be? I won't say it. I have an idea. But I don't want to be a "category". I have to occasionally remind myself that the label can be confining and restrictive of ALL of me. I just have to remember that I am me and to find the beauty in all of myself... the crazy person, the quiet person, the wants-to-like-and-love-everyone person (I really do, but sometimes its hard), and the puts foot-in-mouth person. Once you let yourself be free of labels you are then free of expectations of what that label stands for (which is relative anyway) and allows for much more room to be greater at being you.

I hope that makes sense. ;0)

Here is a quote I put on my blog once, but I'll share it with you again:

"Loving outselves opens us to truly knowing ourselves as part of a matrix of existence. inextricably connected to the boundlessness of life. When we keep opening past any version of who we are that is crafted by others, when we see that we are far bigger than the person that is delineated by family or cultural expectations, we realize that we are capable of so much more than we usually dare to imagine....

From THE FORCE OF KINDNESS

Love you sis!

Rae said...

My quote for you, sis? BEAUTIFUL -- in every way, inside and out!
Love ya!

Strangeite said...

Excellent post.

It is interesting that such an odd topic has produced such discussion.