I’ve had a request for the recipe from the previous post. I’m not sure I have one, exactly. Its just a little of this, and that…. but it goes something like this:
Cook/caramelize unions (1/2 a med. Onion) in hot (over med or med high) oil (2T?) until clear, not browned.
Add some crushed red pepper flakes – at whatever spiciness level you like (I probably use 1-2 T.) Cook a minute or so.
Then add whatever veggies you like – fresh, frozen, canned etc. Carrots, peas, broccoli, water chestnuts, sprouts, peppers, etc.
Let them hang out a while, (5+ minutes?) covered, to steam/fry, stirring occasionally.
When they’re tender-crisp, add the sauce elements:
Combine in a small bowl/cup: garlic powder, onion powder, ground ginger, salt and pepper, (I just shake a little of each into a cup – maybe 1t. of garlic and onion, ½ t. of ginger) 1-2 T. Cornstarch, 1-2 t. sugar, 2-3 T. Soy sauce, 2 T. cold water. Stir to combine, making sure there are no chunks – add to cooked veggies, stir, simmer for a few minutes, adding more liquid (water/Soy sauce) as needed, and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
Serve over steamed rice.
Fried rice:
Cook/caramelize onions for a couple minutes, add leftover, cooked rice, cold from the fridge (You can use hot steamed rice, but it doesn’t fry up as nice) over med. or med/low heat. Add frozen peas/carrots (or anything else you or your kids will eat!) Add a little sprinkle of onion power, garlic powder, ginger, salt, pepper, and 2 T. soy sauce, or so.
Move rice off to ½ of the pan – crack in an egg and “scramble it” until cooked. Combine with the rest of the rice.
Enjoy!
1 comment:
oh yeah, that sauce is what i needed to know.
thank you!!1
Post a Comment